Monday, October 25, 2010

Audition

Chapter 2

My audition took place sometime during January, if I remember correctly.  It was still snowing and super cold.  Knowing this, I showed up in Chicago with shorts and a t-shirt on.  Worst. Idea. Ever.  But I wandered inside the dance studio where they were holding the auditions and waited in the crowded room with all the other entertainment hopefuls.

Eventually they allowed us to head deeper into the studio to a room where we had to sign in and get our numbers.  They then measured us (to the appropriate Disney height) and introduced us to a really nice choreographer and some other entertainment cast who went through what the rest of the day would be like.

First we had to go through two animation exercises that we would be judged on.  Animation is key in entertainment.  You have to be able to animate things very largely and also very simply.  That's the key: keep it simple, keep it large.

After practicing these exercises, we were taught a dance combination which varies between auditions.  It starts out simple and as it progresses, gets slightly more difficult.  (It's 8 counts, for any of you into dance.)

All of this is done in a large group and after running through the combination several times, they break you up into two large groups to do it.  After this, you line up in a hallway based on your number.  They take four/five into the room at a time to animate and do the combination in front of entertainment cast members that will judge whether or not you make it through into entertainment.  You won't find out this day if you make it in but try to relax and get ready for a long wait.  (It feels long but it's about 1-2 weeks before you find out.)

These judges will also pick aside those that they feel could go for a face role, that is become friends with princesses and princes as well as the other popular characters in movies.  If you feel you are able to become a face character, before the audition date arrives you will be informed to bring some head shots (though these are optional).  I think mostly, as mentioned above, they set aside people they feel would fit those roles. (Don't quote me on this information as I don't really know much about face roles.)

After I finished my audition, I had a wave of accomplishment rush over me and was just glad to be done with it.  Now I had a long wait ahead of me before I found out if I was accepted or not...


Note: If you have any interest in being a cast member in the entertainment department at Disney World or any of the Disney Company's parks or on the Disney Cruise Line, check out their audition site.  You don't have to be in the college program to get into entertainment.  I wish you the best of luck if you pursue this option.  It's definitely a fun role to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment